Saturday, August 2, 2008

Quickie: Joanna Newsom

        i was reading an interview with joanna newsom a few days ago, when i came across a particularly striking question!

"chickfactor: do you collect anything?
joanna: embroidery, bones, teeth, vintage dresses, flowers preserved behind glass, friends' art, unredeemed gift certificates, diamonds."

        that's right, anyone who has ever come into my apartment for the first time and judged me by my jelly jars of teeth and small bones, i am not alone. and not only am i not alone, but i am in the company of JOANNA NEWSOM. needless to say i couldn't be more pleased.

        if you don't know who joanna newsom is, she is a harpist/singer-songwriter/pianist/harpsichordist. what first drew me to her music were her lyrics, which evoke a lot of imagery/inspiration for me, and are not only (in my mind) absolutely beautiful, but also definitely place her as a storyteller, something i admire greatly. she has two albums, The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004) and Ys (2006), both of which i would recommend.

check her out!
chickfactor interview

No comments:

Post a Comment