Monday, February 22, 2010

Andrew Gibbs


        While the rest of his work that I could find online seems less finished/realized than his video Florian (to CocoRosie's Houses off of 2007's The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn), I think it is absolutely worth posting this one piece by animator Andrew Gibbs.
        The video initially grabbed me with its style and because it appears to have been made using a technique that I'm currently learning, but as I watched I became more impressed with the seamless way the audio and video have been integrated. I would venture to say that if I were not so familiar with CocoRosie's music that I would have been unsure which came first, the animation or the sounds. He also effectively draws attention to some of the subtler/more unusual sounds within CocoRosie's compositions by giving them a visual cue, which made me really appreciate the way they were playing off one another, rather than only giving the song a storyline.
        It is also full of really beautifully strange moments (when the soldier uses thread from his coat to try and save a drowning woman, waves being represented as small hands, the way the beginning is tied back in at the very end). Definitely worth a watch.

Florian on youtube
Gibbs' Vimeo



images: screen grabs from Florian

No comments:

Post a Comment