Monday, April 5, 2010

Terri Timely (Ian Kibbey and Corey Creasey)


        Putting together this post required an unprecedented amount of unnecessary sleuthing on my part, caused by the deceptive name Terri Timely (which is two people and neither of their names are Terry). The confusion started while watching St. Vincent's music video for Actor Out of Work which is in some placed credited to "Terri Timely", and in others to "Ian Kibbey and Corey Creasey". It only got worse when one source listed Actor Out of Work to "Ian Kibbey and Corey Creasey" and in the same breath credited another St. Vincent video, Marrow to "Terri Timely". Then the Terri Timely website had both videos, and the "about" section was blank, with only a picture of two young men!

        Fortunately the issue has been resolved, and I give you Terri Timely; directing duo Ian Kibbey and Corey Creasey.

        As I sort of mentioned, I happened upon these artists while watching music videos of St. Vincent. Marrow, in particular, is very peculiarly shot, and fits better with the music (both in mood and in the actual rhythm of the filming) than maybe any other music video I've seen. I was immediately pulled in, and had to see more. As it turned out I had seen more of their work already (including the now confirmed to be them video for Actor Out of Work) (which is amazingly bizarre and slightly uncomfortable), and the video for Joanna Newsom's The Sprout and the Bean, which shares with Marrow interesting and fitting camera movements.
        I've been working my way through their online library and what interests me most about their music videos is just what I described about Marrow (my personal fave) and The Sprout and the Bean; a perfect combination of the feel of the music and their own aesthetic, edited to the beat of the music (Modest Mouse's Invisible and Bobby Birdman's I Will Come Again are also good examples). There are also a couple videos that meander and cycle through sets really beautifully. And their compositions are always beautiful.

        Their short films reflect that a lot of the weirdness that occurs in their music videos are not only the product of having chosen somewhat strange musicians, rather that Terri Timely are probably even weirder on their own (this is a good thing). Their sense of a visual beat is also reflected in their short films, which are impeccably timed. Many of the short films are also HILARIOUS (I couldn't even tell you which are my favorites, and I don't want to ruin them for you by saying why anyway). If you're going to watch anything of theirs I'd head to the short films section first, but it's all amazing.

Terri Timely website
2006 interview with the two of them




images: territimely.com (stills from various videos)

1 comment:

  1. Cool post, it's nice to read something so in-depth and interesting! I will be following you via bloglovin, and I'd be so honored if you followed me :)

    Keep smilin,
    Julia

    http://julialuckett.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete