Saturday, July 25, 2009

Amanda Smith


        While perusing the internet a few days back for something completely unrelated (I can't even remember what) I stumbled upon the ceramic work of Amanda Smith, and was quickly reminded of both Grayson Perry and Henry Darger, both of whose work I love dearly. So as an introduction to the two of them, (their posts will come next) here is Amanda Smith, who I believe has been influenced by (or at least falls in line with) both of them.
        I can't find a whole lot on her, but she's a recent graduate (BFA Bowling Green State University '03 and MFA San Jose State University 2008). Her ceramic pieces feature mainly young girls, with a few (more recent ones) seeming to have notable political undertones while some seem just strange (in an extremely pleasant way mind you). Many of them feature multiples, frequently miniature multiples, which are extremely eerie, an unexpected quality when approaching a ceramic piece. All of her work is pretty bizarre, and really interesting. And despite my instant connection to Darger and Perry, her work has a real voice to it. There is definitely a theme of the female identity, and each of her pieces has a lot going on in it. They're truly narrative and intriguing. I liked them all so much that I had an impossible time choosing which ones to put here, so I urge you all to check out her website! I only wish I could see them in person!

Amanda Smith's website
If anyone knows or finds out anything else about her, please leave a comment!



images: amandamichellesmith.com

No comments:

Post a Comment