Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Julia Hetta


        To take a break from the few more involved posts I've done recently, here is some photography that I just find particularly lovely.
        I was looking at past collections by fashion designer Lovisa Burfitt, and fell in love with the images for her autumn/winter 08 collection. I discovered that all of her collections (six seasons) have been shot by the same photographer, Julia Hetta.
        Hetta's website does not reveal much (it has contact information and a scrollable list of enlargable photographs) but she is represented by Agent Bauer, which hosts a more extensive collection of her work as well as a short bio. From this I learned that she is a Swedish photographer who graduated recently (2004) and has been featured in magazines as well as shown in exhibitions worldwide.
        There are many things I admire about Hetta's work, a brief list including; her effective use of high or low contrasts, light leaks, and visual tone. The images are both beautiful and lonely at the same time. Her distinctive color palette (described by Agent Bauer as "nearly renaissance") certainly adds to this. Her takes at the Burfitt fashion line are also very interesting; the images of the fashion itself are often coupled with landscapes or images of objects that mirror the textures, patterns, or colors of the fashion piece (and everyone knows I'm a sucker for a good diptych). I always get excited when fashion images stand out to me, as it is something I find myself pretty saturated in.
        In any case, her work is beautiful, and I think you should check it out.
The best place to do this is her Agent Bauer profile
but you can also check out her website
and the Burfitt website (which I would also recommend looking at, because the diptychs made of Hetta's images are really great)




images: agentbauer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment