Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ali Scarpulla


        I saw this photograph (above) a while back on one of the blogs I look at pretty regularly, Morbid Anatomy, in a post labeled an "enigmatic collection of captionless vintage photos".
        After a bit of quick super-sleuthing hoping to find the source of the image, I discovered that the photo was not in fact "vintage", though it does not have a caption, so they were correct about that, and is by photographer Ali Scarpulla. (This is not Morbid Anatomy's fault as they seem to have found the set from another website, and it is also easy to see how this mistake may have been made- just sad when photographers don't get due credit). Anyway, my search lead me to Scarpulla's flickr, which is chock full of similarly dark and beautiful images.
        Her profile reveals little information about her (she lists an interest as "sleeping with eyes open"), so I have only been able to ascertain that she has an eye for light (possibly from sleeping with her eyes open so much). Basically, Scarpulla is the kind of photographer that makes me go "crap, why is this not me". Her subject matter; dangling limbs, sculls, twisted wood and light itself, are expertly composed and just strange enough to not disengage but make the viewer curious. In one word they are ghostly. Like I said, I'm jealous.

See for yourself: Scarpulla's flickr




images: flickr.com/photos/aliscarpulla

No comments:

Post a Comment