Monday, December 28, 2009

Gertrude Käsebier

Gertrude Käsebier 1852-1934

        Following the new format, today's post will be a shorter one (a sip!).
        Though some sources claim Gertrude Käsebier to be one of the most influential early American photographers, I had not heard of her until my 20th century photo history class this past semester, and I am in my fifth year of photography courses. I am not sure if this points to gaps in my education or a gap in general "history". While her place in photo history is no doubt worth knowing, particularly as a woman, I was less interested in it than I was absolutely taken with a single photograph of hers; her self portrait as a gargoyle. It is not only a stunning photograph, but clever and daring. It seems to capture everything that she was as a woman, and the energy of the image is just so strong. Really inspiring in my opinion.

image: ngv.vic.gov.au

No comments:

Post a Comment