Thursday, December 17, 2009

Fantastic Mr. Fox


        Tonight I finally got a chance to see Fantastic Mr. Fox, which I was extremely excited to see, because from the previews the animation looked BEAUTIFUL. And I have to say, it actually exceeded my expectations! Not only was the animation possibly the most well executed that I've seen (and this is saying quite a lot as someone whose favorite form of film is animations), but there are some really beautiful shots (something which is not made evident in the trailer).
        Although the storyline is just barely reminiscent of Dahl's version, the spirit of the book is upheld. The casting was perfect, and the soundtrack (which is comprised largely of banjo) is really fun and fits perfectly.
        All I can really say about the film is that it all came together really well, and I was smiling through literally the entire thing. They have created a perfect balance of something that is easy and fun to watch, and at the same time visually stunning, which I think is really lacking in film right now (but also optimistically on the rise).

I couldn't really find any screenshots that show the feel of the film (and as I stated while the trailer is really good, it does not accurately show just how good the film is), so here's a little taste, but this is one of the few films this year that I truly believe is worth the $10+ to see in theaters, I intend to see it again.

trailer


(director/producer/writer Wes Anderson with a bunch of the stop-motion figures)

No comments:

Post a Comment