Thursday, January 7, 2010

José Guadalupe Posada

José Guadalupe Posada 1852-1913

        I was feeling really uninspired today, so I wasn't sure what to write about. I looked to my bookshelf for inspiration, and seeing my Images of Death in Mexican Prints book (which is amazing), thought I might write a quick one about Posada.
        If you've seen images relating to Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) you've probably seen one or two reproductions of his prints, one of the most famous being the etching La Catrina (1st image). Though his images of Día de los Muertos are often what are most frequently associated with him today, he actually started out as a political cartoonist (then commercial and advertising, but his illustrations continued to always have some sort of satyrical or political edge). Even La Catrina, which is now so iconic, was intended as a criticism of the upper class.

Online collection of some of his prints





images: artoftheprint.com

No comments:

Post a Comment