Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pitchfork's top 50 music videos of the 2000s


        Today marks my 100th post! I actually intended to post this list closer to new years, but it slipped my mind entirely. Pitchfork has tons of staff "top" lists on their site, and of course one that held particular interest to me was the "Top 50 Music Videos of the 2000s". I slowly worked through them from 50 to 1, it's pretty interesting, many of them I hadn't seen or even heard of the artists. (I will warn you, that if you begin to work your way through the list, not to get turned off by the graphicness number 50, which consists of two people having sex with flashing graphics and blocks of color behind them...... I'm hardly prude but even artistically it's worth skipping, the lo-fi thing has been done).
        It's hard not to mention more of these; there were a bunch that I really liked the concept of but the actual video didn't hold my interest, some where I had no idea what I was seeing (in a good way), and a few that were just really cute, but here are some favorites:
#45. The Dead Weather "Treat Me Like Your Mother" (Jonathan Glazer 2009) : This is honestly my favorite video from the list. So simple and SO badass. And of course the end shot is gorgeously sick.
#44. Fever Ray "If I Had a Heart" (Andreas Nilsson 2009) : Bizarre and really eerie. It fits the song perfectly and the filming is absolutely beautiful.
#32. Battles "Atlas" (Tim Saccenti 2007) : Really simple, but a really interesting and new (as far as I know) take on the typical band-in-a-room-performing music video. I also love the hint of sci-fi vibe.
#30 Kanye West ""Can't Tell Me Nothing" [Oldham/Galifianakis version] (Michael Blieden 2007) : Most hilarious thing; Will Oldham (aka musician Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) dancing in the background in bright orange shorts while Zach Galifianakis mouths the lyrics in a totally serious way atop a tractor. Nothing could contrast the song better.
#21. Björk "Wanderlust" (Encyclopedia Pictura 2008) : Björk and stereoscopic 3D. Need I say more?
#10. OK Go "Here It Goes Again" (Trish Sie 2006) : Everyone has seen this. It's just brilliant. And very them.
#9. Fatboy Slim "Weapon of Choice" (Spike Jonze 2001) : Why is this only #9?!


There are quite a few videos that I think deserved to be on the list (Spike Jonze's video for the Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's "Y Control" for example?!??!), and plenty that I would take off, but it's just one opinion by a couple of guys. While they may not be the 50 most artistic music videos of the 2000s, overall they're definitely an interesting look at the last decade's culture and technology.

The full list, with videos embedded



images: Björk "Wanderlust", Kanye West ""Can't Tell Me Nothing" [Oldham/Galifianakis version], The Dead Weather "Treat Me Like Your Mother".

No comments:

Post a Comment