Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bert & Bertie


        I happened across the trailer for The Taxidermist a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen such a beautiful trailer since the trailer for The Fall (which is one of my favorite films, every shot is absolutely astounding and the story is equally amazing).
        I don't even know where to begin, the color scheme is stunning, the shots carefully crafted, and I don't think I have ever seen special effects so effectively used. The storyline and acting appear awkward and yet at the same time beautiful and convincing.
        The Taxidermist is 22 minutes long, and has won "Best Live Action Film (over 15 min)" at the Palm Springs International Short Film Festival, and "Best Cinematography" at the Rhode Island International Film Festival. The film was written and directed by British directorial team Bert & Bertie - about whom I was able to find nothing! Their website is very non-revealing, and only shows a quirky photo of the two, with links to their trailers. Hopefully more information about them will become available soon, as well as this film), which I am dying to see.

The Taxidermist Trailer
Bertie Films Website

        I could not get the trailers on their website to fully load (the link I have provided for The Taxidermist is on youtube), and I could not find the trailer for their other short film, Phobias (8min, which they directed but did not write) anywhere else. It is however available on iTunes for $2. If you're interested in Bert and Bertie I would say it is worth the $2 (I got it myself), the film is simultaneously hilarious and terrifying, and definitely seems to exemplify their style and tone.



images: screen grabs from The Taxidermist Trailer, c. Bert & Bertie

6 comments:

  1. Hi Brass Tea - this came up in our google alerts and made our day. Thanks for the comments.
    Yours hat-wearingly,
    The Elusive Misses Bert&Bertie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I'm so glad you found it!! One of my close friends said The Taxidermist looked like it could be my directorial debut (very in line with my style) and it was the biggest compliment ever! I hope to see it soon!
    -daylynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there ! Like you, I'm trying to get more information about this short film, I am French short film distributor and I cannot find nowhere Bert & Bertie's contact... so here is my last trial and my email : olivier.heitz@premium-films.com
    cheers, nice blog by the way.
    Olivier

    ReplyDelete
  4. info@bertiefilms.co.uk , it's on their website!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the great fortune to be an extra in this film and assuming I made the final edit, I can be seen leading a group of people out of the shop carrying our dead pets in blankets. I've not seen the whole film yet unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's so awesome! i'm definitely jealous. i hope you made it in and get to see the whole thing soon, i can't wait to get a chance to see it!

    ReplyDelete