Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tim Burton / Tim Walker


        Tim Burton (as is true of so many) has always been one of my favorite illustrators/directors/writers/artists in general. His imagination truly awes me. I'm not going to go into any sort of depth about who he is or what his work is like, because I'm pretty sure that at this point everyone knows, and it would probably just come across as some sort of hero worship.
        So my reason for this post is to say that this past spring I was VERY excited to discover that the Museum of Modern Art (NY) will be giving a retrospective on him. The show opens exactly a month from today (November 22), and will be open through April 26 of 2010. MoMA reports that the retrospective will include "drawings, paintings, storyboards, digital and moving-image formats, puppets and maquettes, props, costumes, ephemera, sketchbooks, and cartoons". The retrospective will be accompanied by a Tim Burton film exhibition (open Nov. 18 and closing with the retrospective).

        The fashion images that I have chosen to accompany this announcement are by Tim Walker and from the October issue of Harper's Bazaar. I'm not entirely sure what Burton's level of involvement was, Bazaar simply says "Tim Burton reimagines the season's dark delights", but the styling (which I will add is EXQUISITE. i want these clothes.) is clearly inspired by him and his work. A few of the stylings are more obvious representations of specific characters, (Edward Scissorhands, Lydia and Delia Deetz) and one is an actual costume representation of one a character from one of his poems. Tim Burton himself is featured in two of the photographs, and the spread is, of course, in anticipation of his upcoming retrospective. (The photographs are actually very beautifully done, I would recommend looking at them all, there are thirteen).

        Anyway, I'm sure I will see this show multiple times, and I encourage anyone who can get to New York to check it out. It's sure to be inspiring and you have plenty of time!

Tim Burton MoMA retrospective page
Tim Burton MoMA film exhibition page
the full Harper's Bazaar spread




images: harpersbazaar.com & moma.org

2 comments:

  1. wow! esto es verdaderamente genial,
    realmente aprecio muxisimo el trabajo de tim.
    estas fotos son tan unicas y maravillosas

    ReplyDelete