Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Shin Murayama


        I happened upon Shin Murayama's series Valhalla (first two images), on I Don't Like Mondays, an online boutique for young rising designers. The series is not only really cool, but 50% of the proceeds go to Designers Against Aids. Valhalla consists of four masks, each with their own meaning (described in an interview) and made from what seems to be recycled materials. They feature beautiful stitching and a clear awareness of texture and material.
        Murayama, (who is 32) has worked professionally in the fashion industry since 2004, though he is unsure whether his work lies on the "arts" or "fashion" side of things (though if you ask me these worlds can coexist, and certainly do in his work), and in his interview with I Don't Like Mondays says, "I still don't know if I am an artist yet."
        Looking at his work I would say absolutely yes, but I think whether one defines themselves as an artist or not is entirely personal. Check out his work and be the judge for yourself.

I Don't Like Mondays Murayama feature
I Don't Like Mondays Myrayama interview
Vogue Hommes Japan feature
Designers Against Aids




images: idontlikemondays.us

No comments:

Post a Comment