Friday, October 30, 2009

Wild Things' Forts


        This past Tuesday I wrote a lesson plan about forts (for my cultural/developmental art ed class) so when I saw these I knew I absolutely had to post them. I'm not 100% on the concept of the project, which is supposedly Where the Wild Things Are inspired (all this extra nonsense is starting to be overload and taking away from the actual movie a little for me, but I guess it's to be expected with such an adored story). Anyway, the project seems to have been inspired by a similar project Kelly Burgess did, where she asked people to build forts and fill them with what they love, then photographed them.
        The project itself is a collaboration between the "booooooom" arts blog, and "We Love You So", Spike Jonze and Co.'s blog. (And because of their involvement the prize for the winner of the project was a "bus shelter sized" Where the Wild Things Are poster! not bad...) Basically booooooom told their readers to build forts and send them a picture.
        I won't get too into depth regarding what I think fort-building is about visually and artistically, since I just basically wrote a paper on it, but I will say that the seemingly universal desire to create these spaces is very interesting... Not surprisingly my favorites were the ones with really beautiful lighting, but all of the different fabrics and materials used are really great. Looking through the eight pages (!) of forts really made me want to make one of my own. I might have to in these coming winter months.

Forts 1, Forts 2, Forts 3, Forts 4, Forts 5, Forts 6, Forts 7, Forts 8
booooooom blog
We love you so blog
Kelly Burgess' website




images: booooooom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment